Thursday, June 28, 2018

Earth Angel Bailey

I met Bailey last year at a riding barn. She is a beautiful buckskin mare who requires a bit more TLC and understanding than other horses at the barn. She enjoys her space and does what she can to set boundaries when she feels she needs to. Despite that others consider her to have a nuisance attitude, I have developed a unique connection with this horse. I trust her on a level I didn't know existed. I feel safe with her and I believe she does with me. She has truly marked a spot in my heart just for her.

Recently I experienced an extraordinarily trying day emotionally which caught me incredibly off guard and I wasn't handling any of the experiences with grace. The next day, though, carrying significant residuals from the day before, I went to the barn.

There are many days when I am at the barn and I don't see Bailey. There are also many time I pass her stall and she may or may not acknowledge me outwardly. But this day was different. I walked another horse to the field and as I turned around, there was Bailey - her head outside her stall, I felt as though she had something to say.  So I walked over, happy for a moment with her. We said our hellos and I simply stood with her - her head close to my shoulder as I pet her neck and withers. She sighed a big sigh, as if to let me know everything was going to be ok. She stayed with me - not once distracted by other people, or noises. She was with me in the moment. And I was with her. Although the time passed was probably less than five minutes, I firmly believe she helped remove a heaviness within me. I know the space we shared was meaningful and I am grateful for the exchange.

Thank you, Bailey, for being my angel that day.

No comments: